Thursday, March 29, 2012

MBB

Ten years ago today, my high school boyfriend and first love was tragically killed in a car accident.  I honestly cannot believe that it has already been 10 years; it feels like just yesterday that he was here. 
Matt was so full of life; he had so much energy and enthusiasm and anyone who met him was instantly a friend.  Matt was a guy who loved driving around with the top and doors off on his green Jeep Wrangler, playing football for Milton on Friday nights, and laughing with his friends. 
A side some people may not have known was that he also loved singing every word to Hotel California (and occasionally some Nysnc) :), baking perfect apple pies, and eating ham sandwiches with ketchup.   He loved making up silly nicknames like Lil Turtle and Buttercup Butterfly that had no rhyme or reason except they made his girlfriend smile.  Matt loved writing poems to express all that he was feeling inside, and they were so full of heart and insight. 
I learned so much from Matt.  I learned to always believe in myself and to stand up for who I am.  I learned that laughter should be my best friend.  I learned what love was, even at that young age.
I am so incredibly thankful for the chance to have known and loved Matt.  I wouldn't trade my memories with him for anything in the world- they are so precious to me. Matt, I am so thankful to have had you in my life...  I was forever changed by you. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember when we went on a "double date" with you guys- Brock and I. Funny to think back on. It makes me realize that even in 10 years- I will miss my best friend like I do today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet blog Ali. Can't believe it has been 10 years. There are so many things I remember about Matt! His sweet smile and sense of humor, how he loved to brag to dad about how fast he ran in football practice that day, how proud he was the night he drove you, dad and I to Provino's in his new jeep. I could go on and on. I think we are all lucky to have had him in our lives even if for a short while. I will always miss his sweetness!

    ReplyDelete