Sunday, August 14, 2011

Civil Rights

OK, before you go thinking that the medical problem I have been talking about this week is simply that I am crazy, let me tell you that yes, I do know it is 2011 and civil rights was a while ago.  However, I saw the movie The Help last night and it just really stuck with me.  I was shocked and appalled that not too long ago, that's how things really, truly were.  As a teacher, I have children of all different socioeconomic statuses, races, home lives, etc and I cannot imagine any of my babies being treated differently simply because of any of those factors.  It is truly heartbreaking to see what it was like back then and I think I cried a dozen times in the movie.  I know we still have issues, especially living in the South, but I am so incredibly thankful for how things have changed for the better since then.  I cannot imagine living in a world like that and am so thankful that we don't.

Another plug (I promise I'm not being paid for these!) If you have not seen The Help, go see it...right now!!  If you read the book and are worried it wont hold up...dont be!  Obviously the book is better (I have yet to see a better movie version ofa book, but then again- I am a reader), but the movie does an incredible job of representing it and bringing in the most important parts.  If you havent read the book yet- go buy it and read it!  It is a wonderful read!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment