Friday, May 20, 2011

Papaw

Yesterday my grandfather's sister passed away, which has gotten me thinking about him today.  I am so thankful to have had him as my grandfather.  My papaw was one of the greatest men I have ever known.  He was an incredibly generous man; he helped care and provide for many of his siblings children (this came out at his funeral since he never bragged about or really discussed those things as he was not doing it to be recognized).  He loved his family (he used to say meeting my nana was the "best thing that ever happened to him") and was always so proud of his children, grandchildren, and extended family.  You used to hear the term "patriarch of the family" but you don't really see that much anymore in our culture, but that was my papaw...all he wanted in life was for his family to be happy and taken care of, so that is exactly what he did.  He was such a selfless, kind-hearted, giving man and I am so blessed to have had him in my life.  He helped teach me the things that are important in life (God, family, and helping others) and he molded my own dad into the man he is and I am so thankful for both of those things.  I miss Papaw every day, but I know today he is very happy  to be seeing his little sister again. 

2 comments:

  1. Ali, I had to pull out the tissues today for this blog. You are right Papaw was so special! After losing my dad at such a youg age I always felt so blessed to have him as my dad. He told me on my wedding day that he was now my father and would always be there for me. I miss him too and yes I see so many of the same qualities in your dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, I didn't get the chance to know him, but if Mr. Keith is anything like him, then I know he was a wonderful man!!!

    ReplyDelete